Monday, 7 October 2013

Arcola Theatre day 1

My first blog.

Here goes....

I spent and interesting and enjoyable day in and around the environs of the Arcola Theatre in Hackney.

I arrived early and spent an hour in the neighboring café Oto. This was an enjoyable experience. ...simple rustic surrounds, interesting company and minimalist background music.

The Arcola Theatre is the hub of a culturally driven social and economic regeneration of a deprived area. Culture lead regeneration is in vogue across Europe at the moment. There are example of success and failures.

My visit reminded me of my visit to Margate last year to the beautiful Tate Galley which is designed to spearhead urban regeneration. Apparently, it is slowly working.

But will this work in Hackney? I fear not. Whilst I saw, and experienced, some  creative ideas, appropriate applications of convivial and vernacular design, coupled with sustainable technologies, this is clearly predominately serving the local cultured intelligentsia and academia.

 Harsh words? Well.. I interviewed some local people in a café  not more than 50 meters from the theatre. None of them were aware of the Hub, its offerings, or how it may benefit them. The cultural hub is not integrating well to the community as a whole. Also I saw little signs of wealth creation. The creative heart will not survive without the input of appropriate small and medium sized businesses. A couple of cafes, small shops and an art collective cannot create economic sustainability. Contrast this with the regenerated docks in Liverpool.


Not that what I have blogged so far has much to do with my project. This will follow in the morning...and I have some interesting ideas...

Richie 7 Oct 13

No comments:

Post a Comment