Setting the scene
Why does space, and movement within space, effect emotion and feelings?
I have selected a location near where I live that I enjoy from being in and around. Why do I feel this way about the space? The location I have selected is the Church in Bengeo, Hertford.
To understand why I like this space, I have visited the site and it’s environment on a number of occasions at different times of day.
I sat quietly, experienced and observed the space from different perspectives.
Photographed, sketched, planned the location.
I have analysed, reviewed and reflected on my visits.
My findings:
The space acts as a hub, and guardian, to its adjacent spaces
People meet and greet, even strangers, so the space creates a sense of community.
The materials selected to build the church, interact well with the natural light and take advantage of the elevated location.
At a micro level, beautiful colours and textures adorn the area.
The space has an atmosphere created by the head stones and their interaction with light.
The space experiences transient movement due to its spatial links.
Outcome and lessons learned
Space is static and dynamic.
Space witnesses time, and creates historical events
There is a correlation and hierarchy of space.
Light, colour and texture play a significant role.









No comments:
Post a Comment